Geeks With Blogs

News

eXTReMe Tracker


Head Explodes Too much information

SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 and Sharepoint WSS lists wierdness

Here's a strange problem and how I got around it.  I've been using SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 (SSRS) to do some reports based on data in a Sharepoint list.  In the past I've had no problems getting all of the data that I needed, but for some reason this time SSRS just refused to get all of the columns from the WSS lists web service.  There were 3 or 4 columns that were in the list, but would not return to the dataset that SSRS allowed me to work with.

These columns are nothing special, just strings.  The only thing I could tell is that not all of them have data for every item in the list and it seems like SSRS won't allow you to work with the column unless every item in the list has something in that column and not nulls.  Now I'm not entirely sure, thats just speculation.

So here's how I got around that.  I created some new fields on the list and set them to be calculated values.  Then I made these new column fields simply be equal to the columns that were missing from SSRS.  These new calculated fields then showed up in my SSRS dataset and I could use them in reports.  The only extra step is that these columns appended their datatype to the beginning of the value returned so I have to strip that off in any reports I use them in.  In a way this guarantees that the columns always have some value in them, and it made SSRS happy.

If you know more about this and why its happening the way it is, let me know!

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 12:47 PM Sharepoint | Back to top


Comments on this post: SSRS 2005 and Sharepoint Lists

No comments posted yet.
Your comment:
 (will show your gravatar)


Copyright © Solid | Powered by: GeeksWithBlogs.net