We put WAY too much into celebrity

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 7:50 AM

Front page of the local paper: Croc Hunter Dead!

First inside-page of local paper: Croc Hunter Dead!

Second inside-page of local paper: Canadian soldiers killed by US friendly fire in Afghanestan

I think our priorities are a little messed up here.

# re: We put WAY too much into celebrity

hmm, I dunno. Seems like its about right to me.

Soldiers killed during war. Definitely a bummer, but not exactly a surprise. Even with the friendly fire aspect, its still not shocking.

Croc Hunter, beloved by bajillions of kids and adults, killed by stingray. OMGWTF!?! 9/5/2006 10:24 AM | Blogus Maximus

# re: We put WAY too much into celebrity

Yeah, I don't agree with you one this one. I'm not sure that it's a case of mixed up priorities as much as a case of personal identification.

People feel like they knew the Crocodile hunter, he came into their home on a weekly, daily basis. People's children adored him and he as a prominent figure in their lives.

To hear about his death was like hearing about the death of a friend you knew.

That doesn't diminish the soldier's death, but no one knew him. I'm sure for friends and family of the fallen soldier, the death of the Croc hunter wasn't front page news.

But it's still just a case of relationship. If my best friends, friend's mother's aunt dies, I'm not that sad. The death is sad because it's a death, but I have no relationship.

That's not a problem you can fix (unless you somehow personalize the army and bring them into everyone's lives in a day to day personal way) and I can't blame the media this time for messing up (as much as I love to blame them).

9/5/2006 11:38 AM | George

# re: We put WAY too much into celebrity

I have the worst ever ability to discern between sarcasm and real commentary, so I offer comments for both options of the above comments.

Sarcasm

Chris: You're right...it shouldn't be a surprise that the US is once again in a friendly fire incident. "All you have to say is 'It's coming right for us' and you can shoot it." Ah SouthPark, so much truth in jest...

George: That's true. I'll never forget the awkward moment making love to my wife when I called out Steve Irwin's name in a moment of passion. He definately was a key person in my upbringing and shaping me during my 20's. Soldiers...pfft...its their job after all...if they don't want to risk death, don't sign up. But Steve...he didn't deserve to be killed by the evil stingray! We need to declare war on their terrorist kind!

Real Commentary

Chris: No rebuttal...I know you're kidding. ;)

George: I think there's a difference between a distant relatives death and someone fighting for your country. Any soldier should be mourned for giving their life, especially when its in a program against an enemy that hasn't attacked your homeland yet (which is the case for Canada, obviously not that of the US). The key thing here is that, for the second time, we have deaths as result of friendly fire by the United States. The first time was bad enough, especially with the slap on the wrist the pilots got. But this time, there will be much more scrutiny and I'm sure more strained relationships. I didn't know the soldiers personally, so I don't have sadness at the personal level. I'm more saddened that the croc hunter getting front page takes priority over our soldiers dying in a combat situation, which every Canadian should be upset about and questioning their government on.

9/5/2006 11:51 AM | D'Arcy from Winnipeg

# re: We put WAY too much into celebrity

Dude, you know I love ya, so take this in the spirit it's meant...

I was totally not kidding.

Peace. 9/5/2006 12:24 PM | Blogus Maximus

# re: We put WAY too much into celebrity

I agree with Blogus Maximus. While tragic, soldiers killed in a war zone is no surprise.

Follow the link to my blog for my take on the Steve Irwin tragedy.
9/5/2006 7:35 PM | David Totzke

# re: We put WAY too much into celebrity

ok, now I'm REALLY messed up between reality and sarcasm.

My sheltered Canadian upbringing can't digest these cryptic American comments.
;)

D 9/5/2006 7:41 PM | D'Arcy from Winnipeg

# re: We put WAY too much into celebrity

Perhaps I should have put "eh" at the end of my post to identify myself as Canadian.

;)
9/5/2006 7:51 PM | David Totzke

# re: We put WAY too much into celebrity

I dunno...I think I have to agree with D'Arcy on this one. A fellow Canadian who gave his life for me (and every other Canadian) so that I may enjoy the many liberties I have, such as watching Croc Hunter, is more important to me and more deserving of a front page headline than some entertainer on tv.

Don't get me wrong, I love Steve Irwin and it is very tragic what happened to him (he's more than just "some entertainer"). I just think someone who gave their life for me is more deserving of the front page.

-Shaneo 9/6/2006 9:05 PM | Shaneo

# re: We put WAY too much into celebrity

You know, it could have been YOU or ME out there with those stingrays. (Ok, well probably not me. I'm not too big on 'teh outdoors' ya know...)

Steve Irwin gave his life for us so that we may enjoy the many liberties we have, such as arguing about who really merits first page coverage. ;)

To put it all into perspective, I give you this: my youngest boy (5) asked if we could attend Steve Irwin's funeral. He has no idea that there even IS a war in Iraq. Right now his biggest problem is figuring out whether he likes the newest muppet on Sesame Street. I'd prefer to keep him that way for a while longer.

9/8/2006 4:51 AM | Blogus Maximus

# re: We put WAY too much into celebrity

"We put WAY too much into celebrity" That shows ignorance.......... 6/2/2008 3:58 PM | Blogger