Conference Laptop...but what OS?

Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:17 PM

So I have a few conferences coming up...MVP Summit, Dev Teach, and Tech Ed. I didn't want to drag my 17" full-keyboard HP monstrosity around with me to all of those, so I picked up a smaller HP laptop as my "conference" laptop. Sweet little machine...2.0 Ghz AMD 64 bit chip with 4 GB of Ram.

So the next question is...which OS do I put on it? Vista Home Premium comes pre-installed...but I'm obviously not sticking with that. I figure I have a few options:

Vista Ultimate

Server 2003

Server 2008

Any thoughts?

# re: Conference Laptop...but what OS?

I'd stick with either Server 2003 or Windows XP Pro for a conference laptop...but that's just me. Or go with Vista Ultimate but turn off all the eye-candy and disable UAC so you can get through your demo's and such easily :)
4/12/2008 9:07 PM | Lou

# re: Conference Laptop...but what OS?

Hi,

I guess we are in the same boat. I too don't want to drag and 17 inch laptop with me so I am taking my wife's laptop which is 15 inch and got 1.2 GB RAM. The bad thing is that it does not have Visual Studio.NET installed. The only thing I can use is Ruby on Rails. :)

4/12/2008 9:09 PM | Mohammad Azam

# re: Conference Laptop...but what OS?

Another vote for Server 2003 (either Standard or Web edition). Lightweight (lighter than XP, IMO), good version of IIS, and fewer patches to install after you get the core OS on. 4/12/2008 9:16 PM | Kent Sharkey

# re: Conference Laptop...but what OS?

You lost me after I realized this was a Windows laptop! 4/13/2008 5:39 AM | Justice~!

# re: Conference Laptop...but what OS?

I just installed Server 2008 on my own HP monstrosity this weekend. It runs so slick and smooth - just as fast as when I had XP on it.

I even went so far as to enabled Windows Aero (followed the various tutorials for turnign Server 2K8 into a workstation), so it looks just like Vista, and still does not eat up resources like Vista (Ultimate) did when I had it installed.

I'm not sure what the difference is and why Vista is a resource pig and Server 2K8 is not (even with the flashy gfx running). This is Vista done right.

I hope you find this info helpful.

4/13/2008 8:14 AM | Shaneo

# re: Conference Laptop...but what OS?

I'm with Shaneo.

I 'gave' my wife my 17" widescreen laptop.
I need a new (smaller) laptop by the end of the month for 2 events I have coming up.

I plan on installing Win2k8 x64 and using Hyper-V for the virtualization.

Remember, don't use use a server core installation! 4/13/2008 8:42 AM | Gary Pronych

# re: Conference Laptop...but what OS?

FYI

Just got back from laptop shopping.
The pizza faced salesboy said installing Win2k8 may void your warranty.
He says 'They are designed for Vista Only'; manufactures may vary this condition.

If this is true, it is the biggest croc I've ever heard.
4/13/2008 2:16 PM | Gary Pronych

# re: Conference Laptop...but what OS?

Well now I'm going to have to install W2K8 on a laptop (I've got a 17in HP) and see how it works after all this talk! :)
4/14/2008 6:34 AM | Lou

# re: Conference Laptop...but what OS?

i think xp will work for you because vista is slow..sorry to say that 4/16/2008 10:45 AM | miami